Monday, February 9, 2009

The Joys of Homeownership




I think it is finally sinking in that we've bought a house. The signs are everywhere, especially in our dwindling bank account. This is my first home purchase ever, although I could've probably purchased one with all of the money I've put into renting in the last eighteen years or so. We went to Lowe's one night last week just to pick out lighting for the kitchen - it took a few hours and several hundred dollars before we got what we "think" we want. My friend bought me a magnet once that had the words "I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure" inscribed on it. Well, that describes me to a tee. Thankfully Mark and I have very similar tastes, and he has built a home before so he knows what he's doing. If I say I like something and he agrees, or vice versa, then we know we're going to be pretty happy with our decisions. The house is unfinished upstairs and we want to make some changes downstairs and to the outside of the house and yard, so we're taking our time and doing a bit at a time. It's kinda fun, but kinda stressful too, and today I get a phone call that the furnace isn't working - not a good sign. Ever the optomist, I point out to Mark that we are going to get a new one anyway eventually because this one is too small to heat the whole house with the unfinished upstairs, but he wants to use this one for his "man cave" in the out building out back and didn't want to have to buy a new one right now. So one of our friends has volunteered to take a look at it for us and hopefully it's just something small and cheap, like the catastrophic converter or something.

I'm still glad we're homeowners though - they're not making land anymore, so at least we've got our own little piece of it.

1 comment:

Pepperguy said...

Congrats! It looks cute!