Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tick Tock

Why do the weekends fly by so fast? I told Mark yesterday as we hung out watching TV and eating steaks from the grill that I could really handle retirement --- is that pathetic or what? That I'm looking forward to being retired already? It seems that so much happens during the week, that so much of work is rush, rush rush, that by the time the weekend comes, I am physically and mentally exhausted. I spend the entire weekend catching up on rest and home chores and then before I know it, it's time to go back to work again. Especially in the summer with all of its celebrations and events, time whizzes right by.

Today on the history channel they are talking about Armageddon, the Antichrist, the possible end of the world in 2012 --- even though I'm a believer, I still get a bit nervous when thinking about the end of the world. I know since time began that people thought the end was near. I know that I am saved, but why does the devil sometimes sneak in and make me wonder if I'll be "Left Behind" - guess that's when faith takes a coffee break or something. If the end really is so very near, then I need to try not to waste this time that flies by so fast . . . and I do waste time a lot ---too much sleep, too much beer, too much worry --- moderation in all things and the awareness of how short life is needs be my focus now.

Not only that, but I'm working on a better appreciation of the small things in life - the beauty of the road down by the river where I walk or run with the dog each day -the melodies of the birds as they keep me company on my mile long journey - the warmth of the sun on my face as my breath becomes ragged from pushing my heart and lungs further than they've been pushed in a year or two - and the unexpected gifts that come from situations I'd never expected -a new friendship begun this week as I struggle at work to improve on my efficiency at my job. Before Selina came I was so worried that she would look at all I've got on my plate and tell me there's no way I can bring it all together. Instead she taught me to eat this elephant one bite at a time. She was compassionate to my situation and yet gave me tools to improve and eventually conquer these challenges that are present in my current career. She didn't judge - she encouraged - and that's just what I needed.

So I guess my thought of the day is: moderation in all things, look for the simple gifts and never take time for granted . . . wow, that's pretty deep for me :-)

No comments: